Buttontapper Press is a micro-press run by author Laura Roberts. We publish occasional digital and print-on-demand anthologies of short fiction and essays, as per our editor's whims. We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts. That means that all current calls for submissions will be listed on this page, and we will ONLY read work sent for specified anthologies and imprints.
Please DO NOT send us items
that fall outside of our specific calls for submission, as these will be
DO use standard manuscript format for all submissions. DO NOT send previously published works.
Our new Damned Dames imprint will focus on the mystery genre, with an emphasis on:
- Female PI's and protagonists
- Subgenres including noir, cozy, and caper
- Both professional and amateur sleuths
- Novella-length manuscripts (15,000-30,000 words)
Got something to submit? Send us the following:
- A one-line summary of the story's plot (i.e. elevator pitch, log line)
- One-paragraph author bio
- Links to all your social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, GoodReads)
- First 5,000 words of your manuscript
If we accept your pitch, we will request the completed manuscript within 90 days.
Buttontapper Press is now accepting submissions for its second volume of the Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs anthology, which will feature authors discussing their favorite popular songs.
Criteria for Submission
- Current day pop songs, golden oldies, or anything in between is acceptable
- Describe how your song has influenced your relationships - past, present, or ideal/hypothetical
- Word count = 1,500 words or less
- Format = personal essay, creative nonfiction is acceptable, academic writing style discouraged
- NO quoting of lyrics is allowed; we will not be haggling with songwriters for reprint rights - and all submissions that quote song lyrics will be immediately discarded (paraphrasing and creativity is recommended here)
- DO name the song and artist you reference in your piece
- Humor is strongly encouraged!
- Language should be PG-13, no hardcore sexual descriptions (this is, after all, a collection about LOVE and not SEX)
- NO reprints, NO simultaneous submissions
Payment: Contributors will each receive a digital copy of the book
Projected Publishing Date: Valentine's Day, 2017
Submission Deadline: October 31, 2016 (midnight PST)
Artists/Songs Currently Under Consideration
This list will be updated as submissions roll in. Please check back often to make sure your favorite musician/song hasn't already been taken!
These songs and artists have already been written about in our first volume:
- Morrissey — “Dear God, Please Help Me”
- Spice Girls — “Wannabe”
- The Buzzcocks — “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)”
- PJ Harvey (featuring Thom Yorke) — “This Mess We’re In”
- The Replacements — “Sadly Beautiful”
- Bonnie Raitt — “Blowin’ Away”
- Something Corporate — “Konstantine”
- OutKast — “Hey Ya!”
Thanks for your interest in Buttontapper Press, and best of luck!